It doesn't have to be.
Grammar is simply the set of rules that helps us put words together so other people understand what we mean.
If you can understand a few basic rules, you can dramatically improve your English writing and speaking.
Let's make English grammar stupid simple.
What Is English Grammar?
English grammar is how words are organized to create sentences.
For example:
I eat breakfast.
That's a simple English sentence.
It has:
I = subject
eat = verb
breakfast = object
Put those pieces together correctly, and the sentence makes sense.
The Basic English Grammar Formula
One of the easiest formulas to remember is:
Subject + Verb + Object
Examples:
I read books.
She likes coffee.
They play football.
We study English.
This simple pattern is the foundation of thousands of English sentences.
What Is a Subject?
The subject tells us who or what is doing something.
Examples:
John runs.
Sarah studies.
The dog sleeps.
My friends are coming.
John, Sarah, the dog, and my friends are the subjects.
What Is a Verb?
A verb tells us what someone or something does or what someone or something is.
Examples:
run
eat
sleep
write
study
work
be
have
Examples in sentences:
I work every day.
She writes books.
They play soccer.
He is happy.
What Is an Object?
The object receives the action of the verb.
For example:
I read a book.
"I" is the subject.
"read" is the verb.
"a book" is the object.
Another example:
She bought a car.
She = subject.
bought = verb.
a car = object.
English Verb Tenses
Verb tense tells us when something happens.
The three basic time periods are:
Past
Present
Future
Present Tense
Use the present tense for things happening now or things that happen regularly.
I work every day.
She lives in Texas.
They play tennis.
Past Tense
Use the past tense for something that already happened.
I worked yesterday.
She visited New York.
They played tennis last weekend.
Future Tense
Use the future tense for something that will happen later.
I will work tomorrow.
She will visit New York.
They will play tennis next weekend.
The Most Common English Grammar Mistake
One of the most common mistakes is using the wrong verb with the subject.
For example:
She walk to school.
Correct:
She walks to school.
Another example:
He work every day.
Correct:
He works every day.
With he, she, and it, the verb often takes an -s in the simple present tense.
He works.
She runs.
It rains.
But:
I work.
You work.
They work.
A, An, and The
English has three common articles:
a
an
the
Use a before a consonant sound:
a book
a car
a house
Use an before a vowel sound:
an apple
an orange
an idea
Use the when talking about something specific:
The car in the driveway is mine.
The book you gave me is excellent.
Adjectives
Adjectives describe nouns.
Examples:
big house
blue car
beautiful garden
expensive restaurant
Instead of saying:
I bought a car.
You can say:
I bought a new blue car.
The adjectives give the reader more information.
Adverbs
Adverbs often describe verbs.
Examples:
She runs quickly.
He speaks slowly.
They worked carefully.
I answered correctly.
A useful question to ask is:
How did the action happen?
The answer may be an adverb.
Pronouns
Pronouns replace nouns.
Common pronouns include:
I
you
he
she
it
we
they
me
him
her
us
them
Instead of:
John went to John's car because John's car was parked outside John's house.
We can write:
John went to his car because it was parked outside his house.
That's much easier to read.
Prepositions
Prepositions show relationships between words.
Common examples include:
in
on
at
under
over
beside
between
from
to
with
Examples:
The keys are on the table.
She lives in California.
I'll meet you at the restaurant.
He walked to school.
Commas
Commas help make sentences easier to understand.
For example:
After dinner, we watched a movie.
A comma can also separate items in a list:
I bought apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes.
Don't use commas everywhere, though.
A comma should have a reason.
Apostrophes
Apostrophes are commonly used for contractions and possession.
Contractions
do not → don't
cannot → can't
I am → I'm
they are → they're
we are → we're
Possession
John's car
Sarah's book
the dog's bowl
The apostrophe shows ownership.
Your vs. You're
This is one of the most common English grammar mistakes.
Your shows possession.
Your phone is ringing.
Your house is beautiful.
You're means you are.
You're very kind.
You're going to love this.
Easy trick:
If you can replace the word with you are, use you're.
Their vs. There vs. They're
These three words sound similar but have different meanings.
Their = possession
Their house is beautiful.
There = a place or location
The car is over there.
They're = they are
They're going to the store.
Remember:
Their = belongs to them
There = place
They're = they are
Then vs. Than
Then usually relates to time or sequence.
We ate dinner, then watched a movie.
Than is commonly used for comparisons.
She is taller than me.
Think:
Then = time
Than = comparison
Its vs. It's
Its shows possession.
The company changed its website.
It's means it is or it has.
It's a beautiful day.
It's been a long week.
Again, try replacing it's with it is.
If that works, it's is probably correct.
How to Improve Your English Grammar
You don't need to memorize an entire grammar textbook.
Start with these five things:
Learn basic sentence structure.
Learn common verb tenses.
Read English every day.
Write short sentences and check your mistakes.
Pay attention to how native English speakers structure sentences.
The more English you read and hear, the more natural correct grammar becomes.
The Best Way to Learn English Grammar
Don't try to learn everything at once.
Learn one rule.
Use it.
Make mistakes.
Correct them.
Use the rule again.
For example, start with:
Subject + Verb + Object
Write 10 sentences.
Then learn present tense.
Write 10 more sentences.
Then learn past tense.
Keep building from there.
That's much easier than trying to memorize hundreds of grammar rules at the same time.
English Grammar Doesn't Have to Be Difficult
The secret to English grammar is simple:
Start with the basics and practice them repeatedly.
You don't need perfect grammar to communicate.
But the better your grammar becomes, the clearer your writing and speaking will be.
Start with simple sentences.
Learn the rules.
Read good English.
Practice every day.
And remember:
Good English grammar isn't about using complicated words. It's about making your meaning clear.
Buy 100s of How To eBooks With Valuable Information
Here Today:
More Information:
https://tinyurl.com/y5sy4u7m
No comments:
Post a Comment